UIC instructors deliver courses in a variety of modalities, including on-campus, online, and hybrid.
In recognition of pedagogical innovation and to clarify the course format for students upon enrolment, the current course terms (which were created to outline emergency distance learning formats during the pandemic) have modified to better align with the different modes of delivery. UIC instructors have since welcomed in to teach their courses.
Please visit the CATE website to learn more about each course modality and to select the appropriate format for your Fall 2022 course(s).
These new course designations come into effect for UIC courses from the fall of 2022. Further information is also available on the UIC Registrar’s website Glossary of Terms.
- On campus (ONCAM): An entirely on-campus course that meets in a classroom at specific times.
- Synchronous online (SYNC): A fully online course with live sessions delivered via Zoom or Collaborate at specific times.
- Asynchronous online (ASYNC): A fully online course with no mandatory live sessions.
- Hybrid (HYBRID): A course that mixes in-person instruction taking place in an on-campus classroom with online sessions or content that is delivered synchronously or asynchronously.
- Synchronous distribution (DISTR): A course in which in-person students simultaneously meet synchronous online students via live streaming technology such as Echo360.
- Off-Campus Experience (OFCXP): A course that takes place off-site, away from the UIC campus.
Essential information is communicated to students through your selection of the appropriate course modality and its subsequent publication in the UIC Course Catalogue, including:
- Whether or not your course requires students to be physically present on campus at specific times.
- Whether or not your course requires students to attend online class sessions at specific times.
If you have questions or would like help thinking about the best lesson modality for your class, please consider scheduling a consultation with a CATE instructional designer.