March Madness tournaments to go as planned, NCAA says

0


INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – The NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments are expected to go as planned amid an increase in postponements and cancellations.

NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt told NCAA.com the NCAA tournament needs to be played in the regular format and there was no question of playing in a bubble like last season.

“We are certainly monitoring the unfortunate and sudden spike in COVID closely and will consider any adjustments necessary for the health, safety and success of the championships,” Gavitt said on Wednesday. “However, despite the current challenges we face in college basketball, the solutions to these issues during this phase of the pandemic are probably quite different from the dramatic changes in championship format that we had to embrace last year. . “

The 2020-21 season got off to a late start due to the pandemic, and both NCAA tournaments were held at one venue – the men in Indianapolis, the women in San Antonio.

The NCAA reduced the number of games needed to be eligible for the 2021 NCAA tournament to 13 because the condensed season limited the chances of catch-up games.

Gavitt said there was no reason to change plans for the 2021-22 season since it started on time and there are various mitigation aspects to tackling the virus, including vaccines and reminders. He added that the matches that are not played will be declared without competition and that the selection committee will be aware of these matches.

The 2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament is scheduled to be held in New Orleans and the Women’s Tournament in Minneapolis.

More college basketball coverage:

• The College of Hell Road Trip
• Nicki Collen follows her own path at Baylor
• NCAA drops ball with Auburn sanctions


Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.