Some users will at least occasionally need to convert one type of metric or imperial unit to another, whether for length measurements, data, volume, weight, speed, area, etc. Of course, you can use any small stand-alone calculator to convert these units. . However, a Windows 11 computer is a big calculator with which you can convert units in different ways. Here’s how you can convert metric and imperial units on a Windows 11 PC.
How to Convert Units with Windows 11 Calculator App
Windows 11 includes a pretty decent calculator app for unit conversion. This app includes conversion tools for currency, length, volume, energy, temperature, time, speed, weight, data, and area units, among others. Thus, the calculator will likely be more than adequate for most users’ unit conversion needs.
You can convert units with the calculator like this:
- Press the Start menu button on your taskbar to reveal its pinned apps.
- Select Calculator from the pinned apps area of this menu.
- Click on Open navigation at the top left of the calculator.
- Select a conversion tool for the type of unit you need.
- Then select a unit to convert from the first drop-down menu.
- Choose a unit to convert the value entered in the second drop-down menu.
- Press the number keys on the calculator to enter a number.
Now the calculator conversion tool will show a result. It will also show you other values roughly equal to the other units. To enter a new value, press the back button to clear the current entry number.
You can also convert units with the app’s standard calculator. However, you will need to know the conversion factor of your units with which to convert them. It is therefore easier to use the converters available in the calculator.
How to convert units with Cortana
Windows 11’s Cortana is a virtual assistant app that can be your calculator. It integrates a unit conversion tool based on the Bing search engine. Or you can perform multiplication calculations with this virtual assistant to convert units. Here’s how to convert units with Cortana:
- Click on the circle Cortana taskbar icon to display Windows 11 virtual assistant.
- Then type a x units in units command in Cortana’s text box. For example, a command to convert 11 meters to centimeters would be 11 meters to centimeters
- press the Walk in button (or click Send) to display the result.
- Cortana will show you the conversion result in her window. You can click on a See more link here to open the Bing conversion tool from which the virtual assistant draws its results.
If you have a microphone enabled, you can send voice commands to Cortana. Click it Talk to Cortana button to activate the voice chat function of this app. Then enter the same x units to units voice command.
How to Convert Units with UnitConverters.net Web Application
There are many online unit conversion tools that you can use in Windows browsers. Among them is UnitConverters.net, which is a comprehensive unit conversion website. This site includes a general unit conversion tool that you can use and many others for more specific units. You can convert units on UnitConverters.net like this:
- Open the UnitConverters.net converter in your web browser.
- Select a Length, Temperature, Area, Volume, lesterWhere Time tab at the top of the general conversion tool.
- Choose a unit from the Left column and enter a value for it.
- Then select a unit in the Right column.
- Enter a number in the From box.
If the general conversion tool does not have the unit you are looking for, take a look at the conversion link box on the right of its page. This box includes a wide variety of links that open conversion tools for common unit types, engineering, heat, electricity, and radiology, among others. By clicking Common converters will allow you to select links for opening speed, currency, data storage, fuel consumption and energy unit converters.
How to Convert Units with Convert Software
There is no shortage of unit converter software for Windows 11 either. Convert is a portable conversion tool that you can use on many Windows platforms. This software is available for free and probably includes more than enough unit conversion options to satisfy most users. Here is how you can download, extract and use Convert:
- bring it Convert homepage in navigation software.
- press the Download Convert v4.10 button.
- Click the Explorer folder icon on the Windows 11 taskbar.
- Open your browser’s download folder in File Explorer.
- Right click on the recently downloaded convert.zip archive to select Extract all.
- To choose an extraction directory, select the Browse option. Choose the destination folder path in the directory browser, then click the Select Folder button to confirm.
- If the Show extracted files box is not checked (selected), check this box.
- Hurry Extract to open an unzipped folder for the Convert software.
- Double-click Convert.exe to launch it.
- Select a unit type tab in the Convert window.
- Choose a unit in the input box.
- Select a unit to convert from the Output box.
- Then enter a number in the text input box. You will see the conversion result in the output area just below.
If Convert does not include the unit you are looking for, configure a custom converter by clicking Choice > Preferences and selecting the Custom tongue. Enter the input and output units in the two Unit boxes; enter a conversion factor for them in the Factor box, and select the OKAY option. Then you can use this converter from the Custom tab.
How to Convert Units with a Desktop Gadget
Gadgets are those groovy widgets you can add to the desktop in Windows 11. Would you rather have a unit conversion tool directly accessible on that desktop? If so, check out 8GadgetPack’s Unit Converter gadget. You can add a widget to the Windows 11 desktop that converts units as follows:
- Open the 8GadgetPack site, and click on the To download button for this software there.
- Click on Begin with the right mouse button to select and open File Explorer.
- View the directory (folder) where your browser downloaded the 8GadgetPack setup wizard.
- Double-click the 8GadgetPackSetup.msi file.
- Hurry Install in the setup wizard.
- Select the Show gadgets at the end of the configuration box, and click Finish to leave.
- Click on Add Widget in the 8GadgetPack window.
- Double click Unit converter on the third page of the widget selection window. This gadget will then appear in the upper right corner of your desktop.
- Scroll the unit type bar to the left of the gadget to select a category.
- Then roll the middle bar to choose an input unit.
- Browse the bar on the right to select your output unit.
- Enter a number in the text box to display a conversion result.
You can reposition this unit conversion gadget by clicking on its Slide Gadget button and holding the mouse button. Drag the widget where you want it on the desktop and release the button. To expand the widget, click Larger size just above the Slide Gadget button.
A Windows 11 PC is a super calculator for unit conversion
So, you need look no further than your Windows 11 PC to convert units. Windows 11’s built-in Calculator and Cortana apps are more than adequate unit conversion tools. Or you can quickly and easily convert a multitude of units with the UnitConverters.net web application, the Convert program and the Unit Convert gadget.