A patient’s treatment plan includes recommendations from various healthcare professionals, based on lifestyle, diet, self-care, and their condition, characteristics, and prescriptions for environmentally friendly medications, as a guide. to get the best results for your health. included as such.
It is also proposed as a means of controlling the disease and of promoting the co-responsibility and autonomy of each person in their care, so that poor compliance with prescribed medications can reduce the effectiveness of this therapeutic plan.
In populations such as Castilians and Leoneses, with a high prevalence of chronic morbidity and a high number of polymedicated patients, non-compliance with pharmacological recommendations is around 40-50%, which is why the health service de Castilla y León has developed a significant number of chronic care programs. Spent years promoting activities to improve therapeutic adherence in setting.
In this context, the experience acquired by the community public health system has shown the need to acquire tools to facilitate the implementation of therapeutic plans in compliance with medication compliance, and this, in a double perspective: provide tools to better control their disease, better inform about therapy that helps improve adherence to their treatment plan and more information shared with the professional; and provide healthcare professionals with tools enabling them to improve information on patient adherence to their treatment and promoting adequate communication in a care environment facilitating the review of the therapeutic plan.
To achieve these premises, the regional health directorate has undertaken a project that facilitates the development of software and an application or a system capable of being integrated into the electronic medical record, suitable for consultation both by the patient than by the computer. In the format of. smart phone through the corresponding app.
Its implementation will allow the development of actions that will have a direct impact on the general objective of improving the observance and follow-up of prescribed pharmacological treatments and which are part of the therapeutic plan of each patient, the following functionalities planned for this project.
- Integrate a medical history tool capable of personalizing the therapeutic plan by carrying out a report and detecting drug-related events (repetition, interactions, maximum doses, etc.).
- Record activities performed by professionals to assess and improve each user’s adherence.
- Add the personalized supplement information for each individual to the medication insert.
- Note both by the patient, both at the time of taking the drug and by self-measurement parameters (weight, blood pressure, capillary blood glucose, etc.); Thus, the healthcare professional will be able to consult these files and, if he deems it appropriate, integrate them into the clinical history, in order to be able to have more precise information on the actual observance and follow-up of the patient. . ,
- Provide patients with quick access to the package leaflet of any available medication and other information of interest (e.g. instructions for use of the inhaler, advice on blood sugar monitoring, recommendations on the correct use of antibiotics, etc.) .
- Accompany the patient in the observance of the treatment thanks to calendars, notices, color codes, alert systems, notices sent to the patient as reminders of the actions to be taken.
- Receive communication messages between the various professionals accompanying the patient to facilitate and accelerate the execution of tasks for the benefit of patient information and adherence.
- Develop care guide management systems to improve patient monitoring and clinical compliance
The project, which receives partial funding from the European Union through the Regional Development Fund (ERDF), already has associated software development and is currently being tested, with the expectation that it could become operational. next year. .